the castle > the Falletti marquis

The Falletti marquis

Juliette Colbert was born to a noble French family on June 26, 1785 in Maulévrier, Vandea. She was the great-granddaughter of Jean Baptiste Colbert, the Minister of Finance for King Louis XIV, and thus suffered from the upheavals of the Revolution. She married the Marquis Carlo Tancredi Falletti of Barolo in 1806 in Paris; after an initial temporary stop in Turin, the couple decided to move to the city definitively in 1814.

Armed with a cultural upbringing and vivacious intelligence and supported by a solid religious education, Juliette (better known in Italy as Giulia di Barolo) dedicated a large part of her life to charity work. She actively worked to improve the living conditions of the female inmate population and established vocational schools for socially or economically disadvantaged young women. Thanks to Juliette, the territory has a school for poor, young girls in Borgo Dora of Turin; the Institute of Refuge for ex-prisoners and abandoned youth; the Hospital di Santa Filomena for disabled girls; and genuine family homes to host and care for up to twelve girls, headed by a secular “mother.” In addition, Juliette founded a female congregation made up of formerly detained women: The Penitent Sisters of St. Mary Magdelene (Sorelle Penitenti di Santa Maria Maddalena), today called “Daughters of the Good Pastor Jesus” (Figlie di Gesù Buon Pastore).

The Marchesa Juliette died in 1864. The absence of heirs inspired her to devote the considerable family fortune to the Opera Pia Barolo, the institute with the objective of undertaking and maintaining commitments in charity, vocational training, and social support.

Carlo Tancredi Falletti, Marquis of Barolo, was born in Turin on October 26, 1782. From a young age, he was distinguished for his intelligence, sense of justice, attention to the needs of the times, and his strong will to promote and operate for the good of all. In matrimony to Juliette, the Marquis found a special harmony of values of ideals in life, a happy circumstance that led them to open many doors in their time, deeply and positively affecting the city of Turin.

Carlo Tancredi dedicated himself prevalently to education, instruction, and the formation of children and youth. He held positions of certain political relevance: Decurian and mayor of Turin, he took on concrete projects in favor of the integral development of his fellow citizens. For the youngest sons and daughters of poor families, he instituted “recovery rooms” in his Turin palazzo, which became the very first kindergartens of Piemonte. In 1834, in accordance with his wife, he founded the Sisters of Sant’Anna (Suore di Sant’Anna) in order to continue his mission of service to helping younger generations.

The Marquis died in 1838.

In 1991, both Marchesi were beatified.

Condividi su Facebook Condividi su Twitter

«ONE ALWAYS ACTS, THEREFORE, THROUGH CHARITY»
JULIETTE OF BAROLO